top of page

Death toll from landslides, floods in northeast Brazil rises to 84


The death toll from the landslides and floods caused by heavy rains rose to 84 on Monday in the metropolitan region of Recife, the capital of northeastern Pernambuco state of Brazil, officials said.

The floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains killed 84 people and displaced hundreds of others, the governor of the Pernambuco state, Paulo Camara, said at a press conference.

The number of people missing, which was previously reported at 56, still could not be determined clearly, he stressed, adding search and rescue efforts are underway to reach out to the marooned people.

Emphasizing that the work is continuing especially in 12 critical regions, he stated: “We know that these first hours are significantly important. I have met with all the mayors to prepare a work plan.”

Camara added that 100 million Brazilian reals ($21 million) have been allocated for search and rescue efforts as well as for the infrastructure work.

Due to the heavy rains in the Pernambuco state of Brazil, an emergency has been declared in 14 provinces since May 23.

Officials had announced that nearly 4,000 people have been evacuated from the danger zones.

In an earlier Twitter post, the government said: "The Government of Brazil is monitoring the situation of Pernambuco and other states affected by heavy rains and floods in the Northeast region of the country. Technical aid was sent to the affected cities to provide the needed assistance to local authorities."

Commenti


bottom of page