In the latest installment of the Twitter Files released Tuesday, it was claimed that a US government agency demanded the suspension of hundreds of thousands of accounts from the social media platform.
"US govt agency demanded suspension of 250K accounts, including journalists and Canadian officials!" said Twitter CEO Elon Musk, retweeting a revelation by journalist Matt Taibbi.
"The GEC report appeared based on DHS data circulated earlier that week, and included accounts that followed “two or more” Chinese diplomatic accounts. They reportedly ended up with a list “nearly 250,000” names long, and included Canadian officials and a CNN account," said Taibbi in one tweet, referring to the Global Engagement Center, which he described as "a fledgling analytic/intelligence arm of the State Department."
In another tweet, the office of Democrat Rep. Adam Schiff, who represents California, made requests for Twitter to suspend certain accounts.
Taibbi also that Twitter "received an astonishing variety of requests from officials asking for individuals they didn’t like to be banned."
In November 2020, Schiff's office requested that action be taken over "alleged harassment from QAnon conspiracists" against Schiff's staff, including aide Sean Misko.
"Remove any and all content about Mr. Misko and other Committee staff from its service - to include quotes, retweets, and reactions to that content," read one screenshot.
"Suspend the many accounts, including @GregRubini and @paulsperry, which have repeatedly promoted false QAnon conspiracies," the request read.
The first series of the Twitter Files came out in early December, when Taibbi posted multiple tweets with a focus on discussions among the company's staff on censoring a story about a laptop belonging to President Joe Biden's son, Hunter.